Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Perks PART I

Dear Friends,

I don't know who I'm writing this to, if it's me or the people who had taken turns with my book or just any friends that might stumble along. I think I'm just throwing thoughts on paper (sorry I mean internet) because I just really feel like I need to.

When I was a freshman in college I met a wonderful girl named Jenna.

Let me back this up a bit. Obviously I am talking about perks, and the way I found perks was so perksish it is kinda crazy to think about it.

Jenna invited me to a small party with her and a couple of friends. It was honestly probably my first "college" experience. There was alcohol and Hookah and music and people and it was just a really good time. Jenna had previously talked to me about a book that she really loved and wanted me to read. She basically gave me a summary of the first few chapters and what the book meant to her. It sounded so special, I expected to be let down, It was as if she described red velvet cake and I expected rice pudding. (not a rice pudding fan) She told me how much I would relate to the characters and how much feelings would pass through me as I read it (haha read it) I told her I was really excited and as everyone started to sit around the table I would casually pull out the book she gave me and start reading.

This is near the time she explained to me the most important detail of all. Writing in the book. and not necessarily writing in the book but doing whatever the hell you want to do to it. You could underline, highlight, make comments, anything you wanted. For me this is the true power of the book. The book is so easily relatable that anyone can write something down (if they just try) So while the story is as perfect as it is relatable, the best part is reading it along with your friends, and discovering Charlie's problems, while you discover that your friends are going through, or have gone through the same things.

So I'm sitting at a small table and the hookah is being passed around and at this time I had never smoked anything so I declined each time it passed to me but, they offered everytime I said no, which made me feel important. Even though I didn't want any they kept asking me just to be nice and that always made me feel special in a way. After everyone went home besides me and Jenna we stayed and played a fighting game and I kicked there asses because they were drunk. It was so much fun. That night was probably one of my top ten favorite college experiences.

I would soon stop talking to both these two as I would alot of people I knew all for different reasons. It sucks meeting someone who is so important at the time and then they leave the impact they were meant to and then they leave your life. But as the book says

Times change,
and people leave,
and life doesn't stop
for anybody.

This is going to be a really long blog in a lot of different parts but I have to go to bed because I work in 6 hours. So expect part two tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment