Sunday, March 25, 2012

This. School.

When I got here the first day everything was new. Brand new. Now everything is old and rotted. The first show I quickly learned that I would miss social events based on there time slots. Apparently the world wants everything fun and cool to happen from 7-10. I obviously wouldn't have it any other way. I wouldn't say I was here to do theater. I was here to survive. I didn't have a place to go in life and my sister put me through college that's basically it. The first show was room service. Everything seemed like it was straight out of a movie. Friends grew pretty quickly. We were a group of theater kids and it had been said by theater faculty that there hasn't been a group of kids that get along so well for a long time. Room Service consisted of: Devin, Henry, Scott, Tanner, Michael, leisl Braden Todd and a girl who wouldn't be here for a few weeks named Norah. I remember auditions: They took place in the little theater we went up few by few to do cold readings from the script. When I say cold I mean we wouldn't read the scene before we acted it out but obviously you should have read the damn thing before you went (this would end up being a tragic fall of mine for basically every show until the end of my second year) The only thing I remember about auditions for Room Service is that before we got there we went to the park first and played. The teacher told us just to play. I didn't understand it but he was being completely serious. In the middle of auditions the teacher told us to start playing one of the characters as "eccentric." A boy name dDevin went up and immediately started to do a very flamboyant homosexual accent. I was seriously bugged. I just got back from Santa Cruz were people knew how to be respectful of other people. Immediately the teacher had stopped his audition and said: "Eccentric doesn't mean gay." I was seriously stoked. I was so happy he said that and I remembered to be watchful of Devin. To make sure he wasn't a homophobe or something. Then the teacher told us to replace one of the lines with a different word because it said "God." I went up for my audition along with Todd the scholarship man on campus who was also heavily involved with theater. I played a character named Gribble, the boss of the hotel. He played the franchise owner of the hotel (if i remember correctly) I remember that when I changed the word God to some random nonsensical word off the top of my head everyone flipped there shit. Todd couldn't go on because he was laughing so hard. I didn't know if what I did was good or bad. The next day I found out I got the part. I was going to be Gribble. Remember how I said that we were said to be the closest group they have had for a long time? Well it was true, we all hung out together. We went everywhere together. It was a really wonderful experience. Of course nothing perfect lasts forever. Soon our ragtag group would be filled with death threats, relationships doomed from the start and lots and lots of booze. College was about to fuck me in the ass like a 500 pound black man on sunday afternoon.

To be continued.


And for the record I'm writing this for my future self. Not for you.

3 comments:

  1. I was in Room Service too- I don't know if future self wants to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That year was like a delicious cupcake that ended up being poisoned..."

    ReplyDelete